Sunday, June 6, 2010

Duelling Tankas

I've been occasionally flipping through a Penguin book of Japanese verse and found a pretty amazing poetic exchange. These are two tankas from before 1000 CE, written by sisters of the royal house. The tanka is a poetic form that has five units with a syllable pattern of 5-7-5-7-7, although usually when translated into English the syllable counts are less important.

The first poem was written when then-emperor Tenji was showing his favor to Princess Nukada. The second poem was written by Nukada's sister Kagami responding to losing Tenji's affections.


Tanka
Princess Nukada


I waited and I
yearned for you.
My blind
stirred at the touch
Of the autumn breeze.




Tanka
Princess Kagami


In reply to a poem by her younger sister, Princess Nukada.


The wind blew: for you
it blew, a hateful wind.
I waited for this wind
to stir, to stir for me.
And now, my heart bleeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment