Sunday, January 24, 2010

The difference between recognition and Recognition

I am an aficionado of cynicism. Despite Conan O'Brien's recent (very genuine) farewell speech asking "especially young people" to avoid cynicism (as it's his least favorite quality), I am an admirer of the real hard-bitten, bitter skepticism that only jealousy and pettiness can bring.

Which is why this is a great poem: it's both knowing and aggravated. I love how the rhythms and omissions make this piece skitter around. Ir's also great to wonder whether the poet received too little attention for his liking or too much.

In the words of Nick Cave, "I thought of my friends who had died of exposure. And I remembered other ones who had died from the lack of it."


Personal at the Podium
Steven Barza



I am so and so
happy to introduce our illustrious
author of winer of
legendary
thanks to support from the and from the and
if I may say from my girlfriend who is here tonight
wasn't sure
as I was she was dazzled
by the boisterous first
touched by the rueful second
provoked by the self-referential third
provoked by something else lately
a fictional world of bright people and chatter
edged with perfidy I think someone here
knows perfidy has used my preoccupation
planning this event
preparing this introduction
to introduce herself to who knows who
after the reading our speaker
will take questions from the audience
I have questions for someone in the audience
like where were you
like how could you
like what now
ladies and gentlemen
we are honored
though for some of us honor is now what it was
please show a warm welcome I give yo please
especially you I give you and have given you
so show a warm welcome
so please

No comments:

Post a Comment