Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blue Light, Candy and the Power of Voice

One night in western Massachusetts we went out to a poetry open mic and saw this guy Dave Macpherson headline. He was quite good, sort of a mix of slam and free verse poetry. He's probably one of the most spellbinding poets I've ever heard, and I'm including the 10-disc Dylan Thomas set I was given.


The poem itself is pretty good, but the passion and vivid voice acting in his performance was what knocked it out of the park, the twists and turns of the narratives echoed in the rise and fall of inflection.


But I think the best part is the chapbook I bought from him that night: it's got what may be the best title of any book I've ever read. It's called "The Road to Hell Is Paved with Candy."




Blue Light
Dave Macpherson


1. She dances on the lip of the stage to the men below her.
The blue spot finds her and her skin becomes
The turquoise of a Caribbean reef.
The men, with their pointing dollar bills,
Can almost hear the crash of waves
And smell the saltwater forming on their brows.
She dos not see them.
She is movement and light.
She transcends the beer stains and cigarette butts.
Her thoughts are her own,
As she is bathed in a blue light.


2. He pulls his car to the side of the road,
He curses as he puts it in neutral,
And takes out his license and registration.
The flashing light now illuminates his glove compartment.
Any minute now, the trooper will emerge from his car,
And try to smell the three scotch and sodas he had at TJ's.
Where were his breath mints?
If he had his breath mints, he wouldn't lose his license.
The trooper is still in his car.
But he will come, and alter his life with a non-chalant tone,
While bathed in a blue light.


3. So, they hit me with this bright blue beam,
Right before they transported me to their mother ship.
I was just taking the garbage out like I do every Wednesday,
An the circle of light surrounded me.
I didn't know what they wanted. I still don't.
They probed, ya know. Treated me like meat.
Let me tell you, it was not a wonderful experience.
I ain't hanging out waiting for their return.
But in that first moment, I thought it was beautiful.
I thought I was beautiful.
I thought I had been allowed to change,
When I was bathed in the blue light.

No comments:

Post a Comment