Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bear City, Bear Bear City!

Last month I got to hang out again with one of my best friends, whom I hadn't seen in over a year. With wives and some friends we went to an IHOP at midnight and had a perfectly awesome time with some perfectly dreadful service. 

We started talking about tattoos, the hows and (far more importantly) whys of all our ink. On his side he has a massive brown bear standing upright, which I knew, since he got it while he was visiting us in New England. But I didn't know the full story behind it: he had read that a native American tribe believed that all men were bears before they were men. Then man fell from grace with God, and they became men.

I kind of like that. And I like Lyle Lovett singing a song called "Bears."




And the SNL sketches, too.










And I like this too...


Magic Words
after Nalungiaq (translated from the Inuit by Edward Field)

In the very earliest time,
when both people and animals lived on earth,
a person could become an animal if he wanted to
and an animal could become a human being.
Sometimes they were people
and sometimes animals
and there was no difference.
All spoke the same language.
That was the time when words were like magic.
The human mind had mysterious powers.
A word spoken by chance
might have strange consequences.
It would suddenly come alive
and what people wanted to happen could happen-
all you had to do was say it.
Nobody could explain this:
That's the way it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment