Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bringing the "Out" Back "In"

I, like probably many of you, thought war poetry went out of style somewhere between Wilfred Owen and "The Death of the Ball-Turret Gunner." Guess what, Private Pyle, you got served!




Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting
Kevin C. Powers

I tell her I love her like not killing   
or ten minutes of sleep   
beneath the low rooftop wall   
on which my rifle rests.   


I tell her in a letter that will stink,   
when she opens it,   
of bolt oil and burned powder   
and the things it says.   


I tell her how Pvt. Bartle says, offhand,   
that war is just us   
making little pieces of metal   
pass through each other.




Another one from the most recent Iraq conflict. But I think the best part is how it's a war poem not about war at all. Despite the grimy fear and exhaustion alluded to, there's a certain elegance and beauty in the style, turning killing into just another thing humans do, like love or letters. I don't know if it's a weakness in the poem. But I don't think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment