Friday, March 26, 2010

Tautology Isn't Always a Bad Thing - Sometimes It's Just Tautology.

Ordinarily, poems about poetry seem insular at best and masturbatory at worst. There are notable exceptions, but anytime somebody writes a poem to tell you about "their process," you're probably not in for a good time. This is a notable exception, since the "I" and the "you" can be any author and any audience ever. 

There's something admirable and almost self-deprecating in this, beyond ego and ideals of communication and high art. This is just one person trying to figure out the weird mystery of how somebody can write something down and have it mean anything to anybody else.


When I'm: Where You
Philip Booth


When I'm writing, as
I'm now writing, I write
from wherever I've ever


been, up through a now
that has no here, out
into a there where


you, in a time beyond
now (to you rearrived
as time present), may


deep in yourself feel
words risen through
me: words no more mine


than now yours, as I
feel how it feels to
write out toward you


our need to figure
all it may mean, in this
very world, to be us.




And by the way, this is one of the greatest webcomics of all time: xkcd.

No comments:

Post a Comment